What is the best thing that I love about my work?
– My work as a jewelry maker gives me freedom to follow my own ideas.
What is my idea of perfect happiness?
– whenever I am conscious of having a happy moment
What is my greatest fear?
– Apart from losing the people I love in my life I am afraid to ever lose my eyesight or the ability to work with my hands
What is the trait that I most deplore in myself?
– when I try to do more than one thing at a time
Which living persons in my profession do I most admire?
– Anyone who follows his own rules and tries to find new ways risking to fail, regardless of commercial success
What is my greatest extravagance?
– I am seduced to buy a gemstone from time to time which I don’t have a concept for, just to look at it from different perspectives time and again
On what occasion would I lie?
– to avoid hurting someone
What is the thing that I dislike the most in my work?
– Cutting my fingers
When and where was I the happiest, in my work?
– I was very happy when I noticed I managed to combine some of my childhood ideas with my every day life
If I could, what would I change about myself?
– I don’t want to change, I don’t want to be perfect
What is my greatest achievement in work?
– I make my living from what I love to do since 12 years now
Where would I most like to live?
– I’m ok in Mainz as long as I am able to travel to meet different people in different places
What is my most treasured possession?
– I have a ring made of my father’s wedding ring after he died when I was a child and this one means a lot to me
What is my most marked characteristic?
– I am not afraid of changing plans
What is my most inspirational location, in my city?
I also get a lot inspiration from meeting people at the Walpodenakademie, our non-profit art community
What is my favourite place to eat and drink, in my city?
– I like the old winetaverns at the river rhine and in the old part of Mainz
What books influenced my life and how?
– Ernst Haeckel’s Art Forms of Nature helped me to find and appreciate the fantastic forms and designs even in tiny or unspectacular plants and creatures and their environment
Who are my favorite writers?
– Richard Brautigan, Stefan Zweig, Simone de Beauvoir
You Only Die Once. What music would I listen on my last day?
– Iggy and the Stooges: Funhouse and 1969
Who is my hero or heroine in fiction?
– Pippi Langstrumpf by Astrid Lindgren, she is creative in the true sense, fearless and friendly
Who are my heroes and heroines in real life?
– My Mother because she has a strong personality that helps her being self-conscious, powerful and funny in her eighty-plus age
Which movie would i recommend to see once in a lifetime?
– Gimme Danger, about Iggy And The Stooges by Jim Jarmusch
What role plays art in my life and work?
– For me Art is part of every day life, I don’t want to see it as something that takes part in an exclusive world but always, everywhere and accessible to everybody even through simple things
Who is my greatest fan, sponsor, partner in crime?
– Stefan Brand, the artist Brandstifter, my friend and companion since 1999
Whom would I like to work with in 2017?
– Artists of different disciplines who are ready to collaborate on eye level, in 2017 I have plans to collabrate with Brandstifter, Kristina Boneva, Stephan Flommersfeld …
Which people in my profession would I love to meet in 2017?
– I am very excited to meet Hassimi, a young jewelry maker from Afghanistan, who lives as a refugee in Germany now
What project, in 2017, am I looking forward to work on?
- I am especially happy to participate in one plus one project of two jewelry artists in St. Petersburg
- I am also working on the idea of jewelry show with collaborations of artists and jewelry professionals
Where can you see me or my work in 2017?
- In my studio in Mainz
- Gallery IF in Berlin
- at the Orangerie in Darmstadt
- and hopefully on the bodies of fantastic people all over the world
What do the words “Passion Never Retires” mean to me?
– never give up for commercial purpose
Which creative heroines should Peter invite to tell their story?
– I have never thought of myself as a heroine, but I really like this unique project of Peter de Kuster, because it gives a very close look into artists’ lifes and work. Other artists I’d like to see contributing are Ann Percoco, Shilpa Upadhyay, Lochan Upadhyay, RM Naeem …
How can you contact me?
-- Tanja Roolfs Goldsmith Jewellery Design Kapuzinerstraße 52 55116 Mainz Germany www.tanjaroolfs.de