From Wonderwomen to Great Teams
For many of us, our work is playing a bigger role in our lives. Not only do we spend more of our years working than previous generations did, but we’re also seeking meaning from our employment. In today’s business environment companies are grappling with increasingly complex challenges that require us to bring our best to the office, every day. Great work—and great teams—starts with each of us.
Work is most joyful—and its outcomes are most impactful—when we embrace relationships as opportunities and focus on bringing out the best in our collaborators. It begins with you showing up as your best self at work, and then building the relationships and conditions for people around you to thrive.
In this class, you’ll:
- Learn about your unique superhero powers in the workplace (and their shadow side).
- Assess your one-to-one relationships with colleagues and build a plan to strengthen those relationships.
- Assess your team based on six qualities of great teams.
- Design a ritual to help your team work better together.
Introduction Why we need diverse perspectives at work today.
- Get an overview of the class.
- Learn about the hero’s journey greatness model.
- Reflect on the ways you create impact at work as an individual, in pairs, and in teams.
Superhero powers Identify your unique strengths and learn to amplify them.
- Discover your superhero power—your unique contribution.
- Explore what happens when you over-index on your superhero power (i.e. your shadow side).
- Activity: Make a plan to amplify your superhero power and mitigate its shadow side.
Dynamic Duos Learn how strong relationships help us produce brilliant work.
- Assess the state of your duos.
- Gain empathy for challenging duos.
- Activity: Make a plan to strengthen one or more of your duos.
Great Teams Learn how to create the ideal conditions for your team.
- Understand the power of ensembles.
- Learn six qualities of great teams—those that enable each person to do their best work.
- Design a ritual to help your team show up at its best.
About Peter de Kuster
Peter de Kuster is the founder of Passie Pensioneert Nooit and The Heroine’s Journey & Hero’s Journey project, a storytelling firm which helps creative professionals to create careers and lives based on whatever story is most integral to their lifes and careers (values, traits, skills and experiences). Peter’s approach combines in-depth storytelling and marketing expertise, and for over 20 years clients have found it effective with a wide range of creative business issues.
Peter is writer of the series The Heroine’s Journey and Hero’s Journey books, he has an MBA in Marketing, MBA in Financial Economics and graduated at university in Sociology and Communication Sciences.
Why Take This Class
Solving the complex problems we face today requires a new way of collaborating—one that taps into a diversity of perspectives. When people are invited to show up at their best, they collaborate better and do better work. This class will help you amplify your unique strengths so you can help bring out the best in others. Strong pairs are at the core of great work—they’re the cornerstone of extraordinary teams. When you show up in any given context, with someone you trust, you feel safer and are able to show up as your full self. When everyone on the team feels like they’re invited to be themselves fully, their collective passions and imaginations become extraordinarily powerful.
This Class Will Help You
- Discover your unique strengths and shadow sides to better understand how you can show up at your best and bring out the best in others.
- Build stronger relationships, collaborate better, and amplify your impact.
- Establish trust among individuals and teams by creating a safe space where people are empowered to show up at their best.
- Unlock greatness in your team by designing the conditions for teams to thrive and collaborate effectively.
About Masterclasses at The Heroine’s Journey
Our masterclasses are at the heart of what we do, and believe in, at The Heroine’s Journey. Our range of carefully curated storytelling masterclasses address the great challenges of a creative business and life, following the broad themes of storytelling: Vocation, Money, Self-Knowledge, Creativity, Passion, Happiness/Flow, Creativity, Self Promotion, Time Management.
During the course of any of our masterclasses, you will be challenged with stories of heroines of the past and present to think deeply about the issues that matter most, and provided with a space to share your thoughts with other open-minded individuals. Our masterclasses are designed and taught by storytelling experts, and include a mix of lecture, conversation and group activity.
Masterclasses are on demand. You can book this class every business day of the year, you will be guided by Peter or one member of his team.
The Heroine’s Journey Masterclasses offer a small group of client participants – between 6 and 12 people – a guided and fascinating tour of various business venues and destinations to indelibly link the storytelling concepts of the Heroine’s Journey. This experiential event is designed to show real-world examples of our various thoughts and ideas that make up the Heroine’s Journey storytelling framework.
Encounters Tailored for Your Project
Participants encounter firsthand the triumphs and failures of business storytelling and are guided to extract underlying principles that they can apply to their own business.
The client team gathers with Peter de Kuster in a predetermined “story -rich” city, such as Paris, London, Rome, Florence, Barcelona, Florence, Berlin, Madrid, Vienna, Amsterdam, Venice, Hollywood or New York. In each case, we recommend a city best suited for the client and then develop a tailored mix of tour stops based on the client’s industry and issues.
How The Heroine’s Journey Masterclasses Work
Typically, we begin Day One with a review of various The Heroine’s Journey storytelling frameworks and tools then set off on our journey together, visiting all manner of creative professionals and businesses that exemplify principles of telling stories. By learning how to spot these storytelling frameworks and seeing them in action, you’ll begin think about the ways they can apply to your business.
On Day Two of your Masterclass, we debrief the lessons learned, using a number of different story questionnaire techniques to structure this time. The aim is to richly extract insights gleaned from the from Day One’s experiences, and to understand how to apply them to your company.
We’re not looking for best practices — but for best principles. It’s all designed to drive your company to new thinking — and we are confident that many practical revenue-generating ideas will emerge from the field work conducted in a Heroine’s Journey Masterclass.
Start with Peter de Kuster by planning a The Heroine’s Journey Masterclass and take the next step to improving your business and understanding the Heroine’s Journey storytelling principles detailed on his website.
You can reach Peter for questions about the program by mailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org