Stories for Change
No matter what industry you’re in, no matter where you sit in an organization, change can come from you. Learn how to create a movement to catalyze change in your organization or network by mobilizing people around a shared quest story. Follow the storytelling approach to creating change that The Hero’s Journey been honing over the past decade. Big change starts small, and lasting change is within your reach.
- Grow your organization, team, or community’s capacity for change through influence rather than authority.
- Mobilize people who are enthusiastic about the change you seek by keeping them at the center of your work.
- Sustain your change by redesigning the conditions that support it and spreading the word through storytelling.
- Build momentum for your cause and overcome resistance to change by starting small and creating tangible wins that show progress.
What You’ll Learn
Week 1: Introduction
WATCH A SNEAK PEEK
- Storytelling for Change—sneak peek of the class
3 VIDEO LESSONS
- Getting Started—Change is beautiful
- The Power of a Quest Story
- Craft your Change Story—Sketch and complete the sentence: “I want to change (present state) in order to (desired outcome).”
- When has change led to something beautiful in your life?
Week 2: Mobilizing People
3 VIDEO LESSONS
- The Potential for Change—Start with people
- Framing the Story—Why your change matters
- Forming Your Coalition—Organize people for action
- Mobilizing People—Frame your story in order to build your coalition.
- Have you ever felt like you were swimming upstream trying to change something?
- Share a story that got you excited or, even better, inspired you toward action.
Week 3: Taking Action
2 VIDEO LESSONS
- Story Beacons for Change—People support what they create
- How to Build a Story Beacon—Start small, start now
- Taking Action—Let’s get our hands dirty and start building a story beacon.
- When have you seen a symbol of change that made you want to join in?
Week 4: Growing Change
3 VIDEO LESSONS
- Redesigning Conditions—Change can’t happen without friction
- The Power of Storytelling—How to recruit more believers
- The Snowball Effect—Institutionalizing change
- Growing Change—Write the story of your beacon for change prototype
- When was a time you experienced friction?
- When was a time that a story really inspired you?
Week 5: Conclusion
1 VIDEO LESSON
- Final Remarks—Change is a journey
- Final Reflection—Reflect on where you are now and dream of where you want to go to help you set intention and direction.
- What will you take away from this course to stories for change?
About Peter de Kuster
Peter de Kuster is the founder of The Heroine’s Journey & Hero’s Journey project, a storytelling firm which helps creative professionals to create careers and lives based on whatever story is most integral to their lifes and careers (values, traits, skills and experiences). Peter’s approach combines in-depth storytelling and marketing expertise, and for over 20 years clients have found it effective with a wide range of creative business issues.
Peter is writer of the series The Heroine’s Journey and Hero’s Journey books, he has an MBA in Marketing, MBA in Financial Economics and graduated at university in Sociology and Communication Sciences.
- Price is Euro 599 excluding VAT
- Start Dates May 21
- Duration 5 weeks
- Time 4 hours/week
- Start this virtual journey by mailing us at email@example.com